The gallery “Durvis” is an art space for the creative outlets of contemporary artists. It is located in a 1758 building, which at the time housed a pharmacy, the laboratory of the duke’s surgeon Johann Gottlieb von Groschke (1714–1777) and a collection of natural objects, coins and surgical instruments. The building at Tukums’ Freedom Square is included in the list of architectural monuments of national significance as the Old Pharmacy of Tukums, which has ties to the families of von Groschke, von Klein, Brederlo and Adolphi. The building’s restoration was based on architectural and artistic research and a restoration concept.
The gallery aims to make contemporary art more accessible to the general public by promoting not only the creative works of renowned Latvian painters and applied arts masters, but also the efforts of new artists. The gallery sells artwork and applied art, as well as a vast selection of souvenirs and books published by Tukums Museum and the municipality’s citizens.
More information on the museum website.