The building was built in 1911 after a design by the architect Ernests Pole. The building housed a bank and had flats on the upper floors. Andrejs Upīts and his family moved into the flat in January 1951. This was the last residence for the writer.
The museum offers three commemorative rooms ˗ a dining room, living room and office. The personality of Andrejs Upīts is seen in the design of the rooms, household objects, photographs and particularly the books that are in his library. Among thousands of books in an environment that was based on the author’s work style, family traditions and the era in which he lived. This offers a change to take an in-depth look at his prose and his debatable work as a critic and a politician.
The museum regularly organises discussions and meetings with translators, writers and actors to talk about creative individuals during various phases of history, including the period of the Soviet occupation. These events never avoid problematic or controversial issues.
More information in the museum website.